Friday, July 12, 2013

Office365 Dirsync Version(s)

Microsoft released a new version of DIRSYNC recently that now includes Password Sync.

This does not replace ADFS for User Authentication (especially "Single Signon"), but does provide "same signon".

The big issue that I found was how to determine what version of DIRSYNC that I had installed, and how to determine if a new download was required.  
It turns out that this is not so easy.   To be honest, as much as I admire Microsoft for how thoroughly they have documented Office365, they are painful in their inconsistency on some things.  

Normally I would assume that at the very least that the install of any version would have a version number in "Programs and Features".

I installed what was the  current version on June 2, (this was released Jan 30,2013) and this is what is displayed:
Note that the Size and Version are blank.   (Cheeses guys).

Anyway, now that I have downloaded and installed the version available today ( or more accurately as of June 21,2013) you will see that it properly displays a version, 1.0.6411.007. 
This information is also in the Details of the install file DIRSYNC.EXE.



Here are the details regarding 3 versions of DIRSYNC.EXE that I am aware of.



 
This is the latest version, release June 21, that includes Password Sync


This is the previous version, release Jan 13, 2013.  This version allowed me to configure a scope for synchronization, using miiclient.exe


This is a version that is even older, and has a different icon. I mention this because this show up in some blogs.




No comments: